FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

AEM CDIs > carboard/paper inside unit, aftermath dead uni

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koshir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: AEM CDIs > carboard/paper inside unit, aftermath dead uni Reply with quote

AEM CDIs > carboard/paper inside unit, aftermath dead unit

for all folks that have/had problems with AEM CDI here is your answer why...

Hi,

I have everything in my car from AEM:
V1 EMS + UEGO
EPM
Coils
CDI

and now is it just my luck or not I have "two" burnt CDI, fist V1 one that I got used was dead and found out that hard way when everything was wired in car and ready to be mapped and we had no spark, bought new CDIs (this time I got 2 of those V2 one new one barely used) and now after car was finally running and we did mapping I went to track and second CDI decided not to work, didn't even make one lap, so all that was happening that day was big costs...

Got home mad as hell.

It was a nightmare to found out what's causing burnt fuse in my car for electronics part of it (display, logger, EMS, CDI ...) after all tests done I got to the CDI and the story is now documented with video...

I decided to open unit and see WTF is going on, what's inside that's being so poor made that this units work such a short amount of time, opened unit and there was surprise inside 6 MOSFET transistors and just two of those connected on heat sink/cooler and other four isolated from heat sink/cooler with paper/cardboard and what I found out later these four uncooled ones are the ones that are responsible for coils.

Sent photos and videos to AEM (4-5 different addresses) they ignore me and on fb they started the conversation after 5 days of silince with you have counterfeit items and when I posted photos of all my items with serial numbers and even numbers from plate they blocked me from their fb site.

Here are all videos with prove that they have either poor design that cause that failure or they deliberate put that paper in to cause this failure, now it's up to you to decide which one is it but in the end unit will fail.

It cost me 20 to buy new transistors and some change that I bought items to properly fix the other four transistors to heat sink/cooler and unit now works.

Till now I got no answer on my emails from AEM !!!
They keep ignoring me.

Videos about this matter:

Part 1.
(how it all started)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYVSq8Hghm8&t=181s

Part 2.
(how i found out paper and uncooled transistors in my second burnt unit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoQZNo7f7Pk

Part 3.
(paper inside my third unopened unit, how i break the seal and check what's inside)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11cxLcxmEU4&t=18s

Part 4.
(new transistors and properly fixed and it's working again)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJO8xt3kxwo&t=15s

So if you know anyone with burnt CDI, here's the solution, cause I know there's tons of burnt units out there.

And you don't need to double guess that I'll take everything from AEM out of my car and buy something else now !!!
(so tons of AEM stuff that I have will be for sale: EMS V1 + UEGO, 2x EPM, 8x coil, 2x CDI (modified))
jalai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have better boxes, not a full off some potting compound like My Twin Fire (later Twin Trouble).

Also problem was different, this box doesn't blow fuse.
The fault was one small transistor below the circuit board (third photo)

First picture and right arrow > to six more.

This is My second AEM CDI, first was older model C2DI. This one don't work at a second, it burned the fuse immediately Laughing
riceracing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video/s Very Happy and experience about dealing with these dishonest low lifes.

Always said they were a certified 100% POS! of a company.
You have proved that beyond any doubt now.

I personally went through the same thing with them, and its not just them that have fatal flaws, suffering at the hands of one other STINKing ECU clown show that detonated a few engines as well, this is why I don't use hobby shack hype show items nor recommend them to anyone, just not worth the heartache and trouble dealing with these faceARSEbook posting clown shows.
Pantera EFI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Mica Isolator Reply with quote

FIRST, I agree with your "cardboard" findings.
The need to isolate the transistor is COMMON with a method of Mica and a plastic screw.
The chance to find a Mosfet with a plastic case is ALSO EASY.

What part did you fit ?

MY observation IS the different use of a Chinese vendor for AEM, with NO inspection standard, NOT USA qualified.

THUS my concern, will they counterfeit the IGN-1A coil ?
Will they, then too, counterfeit the IGN-1CD coil, the one supplied to M&W ?
(Peter?)

Lance
koshir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought and installed this one
SPP20N60C3
http://si.farnell.com/infineon/spp20n60c3/mosfet-n-ch-650v-20-7a-to-220/dp/2325467?selectedCategoryId=&exaMfpn=true&categoryId=&searchRef=SearchLookAhead&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false

now it's done proper job with plastic adaptor and mica and thermal paste + thermal place on cooler side that goes on casing where this cooler is attached also...
so terrible job from AEM, and even more disgusting is that they ignore me like this will go away, lots more forums to put this on so folks will know what AEM sell what kind of shitty units...
joe90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of modern electronic gear is deliberately designed badly so that it will fail over time.
It's NOT accidental.
I've been in the "fixing" it business for over 30 years and seen lots of things.

DVD players are by far the best example.
When they stop working, it's often a fault on the power supply board, it happens just after the warranty expires.
Just look for the biggest heat sink on the PSU board, look for an electrolytic capacitor right next to the heat sink....they fail over time with heat.

CDIs are over rated anyway, wasted spark can be made to work so much better..........just google "wasted spark upgrade".
Pantera EFI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Mica Mosfet Upgrage = GREAT Reply with quote

OK, a great choice, good work !

Hi Jari Laine, would you like to test the before/after output change as you have done with my coils ?

I would then have something to tell John Ramaro, AEM R&D manager.

Lance
koshir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Mosfet Upgrage = GREAT Reply with quote

Pantera EFI wrote:

I would then have something to tell John Ramaro, AEM R&D manager.
Lance

If you'll speak to any of them, try mentioning my name and remind them that it would be nice to replay to customers emails Wink
Till now I didn't recive any email from them, they still ignore my emails Rolling Eyes that's some customer support !
Pantera EFI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: GEMS England Reply with quote

There may be another method before I call John C., you may want to try GEMS.
When AEM began, John C. worked for GEON, he started AEM by contacting GEMS in England.

Today GEMS makes custom electronics, I wonder if they "created" the CDI you have inspected ?

I do know they would NEVER use the "cardboard" method.

Lance
DG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there.

I've been involved with the ProEFI/AEM/GEMS collaboration for quite some time:

http://farnorthracing.com/proefi1.html

The history (as I know it) was Jason S. starting ProEFI as a GEMS rebrander, then selling ProEFI to AEM (or maybe he was hired on directly). The AEM Series 1 is a combo AEM/GEMS product for sure. There Series 2 might be.

When Jason moved to AEM, I lost support for my ProEFI, so I made contact with GEMS and I have done 100% of my support through them ever since.

I have zero bad things to say about the GEMS guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> AEM All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: