FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

New EFI build Pantera ECU
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: New EFI build Pantera ECU Reply with quote

Well I just recieved a 882c ECU from a third party purchase I made. I recieved a real good deal on this and I am building an efi 355 sbc system around it. I wanna share my experiance with everyone as I go through the process and take tips and hints from everyone as I see allot of experiance here.

First I will go through what I am starting with:
1972 Chevelle Malibu SS clone
355 SBC 9.6:1 compression
Forged speedpro pistons
Not sure of the connecting rods or the crank
Ati Balancer
AFR 195 street eliminator heads
Isky 274 advertised 246@.050 and .534 lift on a 108 single pattern solid mechanical camshaft
up front a Billet Specialties TruTrac surpentine
Current ignition is a msd 6 box to a vacuum advance pro billet distributor.
intake performer rpm air gap with edelbrock up top(obviously soon to go)
The transmission is a 700r4 full manual valve body with a 2600 stall I have been playing with the lockup allot lately with different ideas of controlling it I think I will use the ecu for this if I can.
And the rer end is 8.5 10 bolt BOP 28 spline 2.56 gearing this is the weakest link right now but love the fuel economy as this is a street car mainly.

So the first part of my experiance has been I recieved the ecu from the seller and contacted Lance over the phone. Figured who would know more about than the man who designed it. Great guy to talk with and I can see he is going to be a huge help in the build and for that he will get business from me when I buy components for my efi system. TBC
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my first attack is going to be the fuel system. I plan to install a fuel cell recessed in the trunk. I will tuck it back as far as I can and towards the axle as much as possible to keep weight low. I am no expert, but like to do as much planning as I can while building the best and safest car my budget will allow. I will be using a Fuel pump supplied from Lance Nist at Pantera EFI and the regulator I will be using will be an Aeromotive 13301 which is good for 3-65 psi so I can use the fuel system while I get the parts together for the fuel injection.
I have not come to a final conclusion yet on what I will be running for fuel lines yet. I do know it will be at least -08AN or ??. I have even thought about -10AN on the inlet side of the regulator. I will also need some high flow filters pre pump 60-100 micron and post pump 10 micron. Man doing things properly gets expensive but mostly from nickel and diming you.

Questions someone might know the answer to:
The regulator has 3/8? inlet, outlet, and return size would running any larger than that return fuel line be redundant? [/img]
Pantera EFI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Pre-Filter & Return Line Reply with quote

First, as you stated cost is a Facture, one large pre-filter would be fine.
A pre-filter of 8-10 microns would do better for pump protection.
My pre-filter is LARGE in size AND can act as a fuel reservoir.

Your return line size of 3/8" is fine, even 1/4" would pass enough fuel.

Lance
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lance I got that in the mail for you and look forward to using your filter and fuel pump.

Last edited by Strictly Attitude on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yesterday I gave Lance Nist a call again to order a fuel pump for the new fuel system I am building. We had another great discussion and he recommended a finer filter before the pump. Along with the ideal of using annealed stainless for the fuel lines. He stated using a 8-10 micron pre pump filter would lengthen the pump life by keeping the larger particle that tend to get in the pump and wear it away out. I can go with this. So put it on my order also. He also stated this would save me money as I could get away with only one filter this way. I like that idea but plan to put a second filter right before the fuel rails down the road just for reassurance. Fuel filters are cheaper than injectors. But it will be nice having all new to start from with the fuel system. I will post some pictures of the parts when I receive them from Lance.

I am very impressed with Lances business practices. I enjoy the conversations and the knowledge he shares with me. He has not forced any of his products on me as I am not using his regulator, the Aeromotive fits my needs better than his even though his is cheaper. I love that you can tell he loves what he does and is passionate about it also. I get that it?s not about spending the most money but getting there the best way possible from him. I don?t know to many businesses that would give this much support for a product I purchased (stole for the price) from EBay. It?s good to see this type of business ethics still alive. Heck he even had answered my questions on a forum before I gave him a call.

I am looking at fuel cells right now and think I have found the one I plan to use, RCI 2191A. It is a 19 gallon cell with the dimensions of 30?x12?x12?. The only thing I don?t like is the fact the outlet tube comes out the top but this seems safer than having the fittings in the rear. I might try to baffle or trap door the pickup after I receive the cell.
Steve Arndt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also run the Redline 882C and Lance's IGN1 coils (four of them) on my aircooled Volkswagen baja bug.

What is your plan for triggering? Are you going to use a crank trigger, or gear down trigger wheel inside a distributor? Cam sensor? Lance probably has something on the shelf to fit your engine if you don't want to do it yourself.

I made my own hidden trigger setup, sensor bracket, using a Volvo VR sensor and 5" 36-1 TW mounted to the backside of my harmonic damper.

Steve Arndt
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ecu is a crank trigger model and I plan to use one of his 58x wheels and along with his cam sensor distributor. The oil pump on a sbc is run off the distributor gear so this will work good for me. In fact the wheel and sensor are next on my list then coils.
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just letting you all know this is not a lost cause or forgotten project I am on hold for the holidays. My family stole the wallet and said no toys till after the holidays. Plus we have that ewwwy white stuff out side.
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have now purchased the fuel cell and the fuel lines aeroquip socketless -8 AN fuel lines and return along with mocal fittings. That was more $$ then was hoping but it is done will start installation of fuel system in the next couple weeks and start on the rest of the long list of parts needed to complete my installation. I did notice Lance has updated the Pantera efi site which has the pump specs and fuel pump listed it is the redline 190 which out performs the bosche 044. Sorry if this project is not fast paced but build on a budget and build it right are my goals.

Lance if you catch this post is there any way to tell which firmware my ecu has with out bench testing or having it hooked up?
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on track sorry been so long life decided to step in and throw me a curve ball. Had an electric fan failure in the middle of the city that cost me the bottom end of the engine a little bit down the road after. 381 or 383 lower end being built right now. Working with Lance on this to get a good rotating assembly and the rest of the efi system built.

I have purchase a holley 58x reluctor from ebay
other recent purchases from Lance at Pantera are
Firmware update and changed the map on the ecu free (it was a 2bar I plan on running NA)
A set of LS1 gen IV coils
a wiring harness as I did not have one
MAT sensor
CLT sensor
Pantera EFI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Rod Inspection Reply with quote

Your connecting rod order should now be received, 6" forged "H" beam with ARP.

Your inspection ?

The 6" rod/3.75" crankshaft has a R/L ratio that is good for a higher static compression as does fitment of the 60-2 TW.

What is your static C.R. choice ?

Lance
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are very nice looking I will be bringing them to work to weigh them up tomorrow. After I get bearings I will balance them to the nearest .01 gr.

I need to be able to run on 91 octane which is what is common to my area I was playing with the United Engine and Machine compression calculator.

with a 11.254:1 static it puts me at 8.894:1 Dynamic with the 3.75 stroke and 6" rod combo and my cam being 51 ABDC and 15 degrees do you feel that is low enough for 91 octane?

Last edited by Strictly Attitude on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I plan to run a .039 quench with my afr 195 street comp heads.
Pantera EFI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: C.R. Choice Reply with quote

The use of a 60-2 (GM-58X) TW will allow for greater static C.R., as will the more powerful coil, my GEN-IV coil.
This is due to timing accuracy of 1/4 degree@2500 RPM acceleration rate AND coil output energy that allows a lower advance of the Spark Instant.

I would use higher static compression.

The next factor IS the R/L of your engine, a low ratio, of 1:6 is specified.
This factor allows for FASTER piston movement at TDC, away form combustion pressure.

OK, now for the fuel, what is the "E" content in your area ?

BTW, I hope you will fit King Bearings

Lance
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R/L not familiar? rod length to stroke ratio figured it out brain fart

The E content is 10% common here and there is a few non E stations but would prefer to tune to the 10% due to it being everywhere.
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be using the king bearings you suggest
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did weight up those rods yesterday and they were pretty close at just an initial
15D 543- 642.93 gr.
15D 652- 643.53 gr.
15D 386- 642.72 gr.
15D 315- 643.14 gr.
15D 662- 643.30 gr.
15D 640- 642.99 gr.
15D 225- 643.03 gr.
15D 015- 641.05 gr.
These are overall weights so not accurate for balancing purpose just a general idea.
Pantera EFI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Spark Instant Ability Reply with quote

The engine's Forged Crankshaft, "ultra, utlra", low weight @ 3.75 stroke has been shipped to me with the requested King Bearings.

This report "serves" as a tuning issue as we also know the Rod Length of 6.00" creates a R/L of 1.6 good for a high static compression ability.

I have the ability to "model" piston weight as does RaceTec piston company.

I would like to use their flat top piston with 2.250" pin.
What is the head cc value ?

Should I balance the crankshaft ?

Lance
Strictly Attitude

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFR 195 with 65cc combustion chambers
And if you can do an accurate balance on the crank that would be great. You have the weight of the rods I have not banced them yet was gonna to the nearest tenth I do know this is overkill. I am running an ATI 6.235" balancer. I am with your suggestion here as you have helped with the whole selection of parts. I am sure you have seen more builds then I have. You have never steered me wrong Lance and always kept my best interests.

Thank you again sir.
Pantera EFI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Rod Inspection Reply with quote

OK, your next step is to Small End/Large End the rods, then give me the "matched" weights.
Then have the block machine shop provide your "deck" measurement and finish bore size.

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> Pantera EFI All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: