FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

Motec M1 ECU range
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Motec M1 ECU range Reply with quote

Wondered if anyone had started using the new M1 range of Motec ECU's

http://www.motec.com/m1/M1overview/

I spoke with one of the tuners in the UK ( ex Motec employee ) in the summer who sang its praises for being really fast.

This ECU has been in the planning for years, yet seems to have no real press after launch.

I sold my M600 in anticipation of the M1 being available and well used.

Has anyone started using or heard how well things are progressing?

Thanks

Hugh
Adam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is the M1 series will not be released as a universal ECU. At present they are only built for specific applications only - ie. Plug in PWC, V8 supercars control ECU, Toyota Racing series control ECU and I here of a plug in for the R35 nissan GTR also. I noticed in the latest Motec Europe catalouge their are prices for the M1 series, the lowest spec unit is a bit more than a M800.
Hugh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

I got the impression from the Motec dealer that the M1 ecu has bee used successfully as a stand alone application.

He said it was 10 times faster than the M X00 series ECU's so would be a good upgrade even if the same software was being used.

The M1 ecu's appear to start with a similar level of connectivity to the M800, so would be similar to wire in.

Do you have a link to the Motec Eurpoe price list? I could not find it when I Googled.

Thanks

Hugh
stevieturbo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he is saying is that it is a standalone ecu. However it's firmware will be custom to your application.

So not truly as flexible as an M800 comes out of the box ( although so many things with it are also a cost extra ). But then it could potentially be more specific to your needs, and not have lots of stuff you dont need, which may make tuning and use simpler.

Whether this is a good thing or bad, I dont know. Whether any subsequent changes then cost you more money, I dont know. Flexibility is always a good thing though. Constraints and extra costs are not.

As for being faster....you really have to ask, in what respect was the old M800 so slow then ?

I guess you also need to ask the question. What will a new ecu do for you, that your old gold box wouldnt do ? And does it then justify the extra cost ?
Goldbox stuff really did a hell of a lot of things.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0
stevieturbo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even looking at this

http://www.motec.com/m1/M1licensing/

I really dont get it. You buy a license in order to be able to use the software ? And that license may offer only restricted access ?

I'm sure there is method behind the madness, but it certainly doesnt sound inviting to potential customers ?

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
Hugh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that the M X00 ECU' are not slow in any particular aspect.

Knock control was one area where I thought that a higher performance ECU would show a level of improved control.

The M1 series ECU's appear very similar to the M X00 ECU's from a wiring perspective, so should be easy enough to instal.

I get the impression that the software will see more development on the M1 with Software development on the M X00 being phased out over the next few years.
stevieturbo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very annoyed on the forum that Motec put up a user input thread on the M800 range for software suggestions

Then ignored everything for the M800 and when the M1 was released, moved the thread to the M1 range as if it was suggestions for the M1 software !

There is little doubt the M1 will be very capable. From the outset, it just looks complicated and not user friendly. At least not from a potential buyer point of view readings about it.

Knock control of some sort would be nice, but many modern ecu's can achieve this too. The SKM was an option for the M800. Having everything in a single unit would of course be far better.

There are so many ecu's out there, it really is hard to decide what is best and most future proof these days.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
Hugh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am a sucker for the faster and next generation is bound to better.

Clearly Motec have been the one to follow for many years and without some new innovations I cannot see how their business will flourish.

Surely the M1 range must be developed to the point where they can be used for general racing applications alongside the plug n play versions.

Motec would at least generate cash flow by addressing their traditional market.

Thy all have knock input, but have held on to my SKM just in case.

Agreed there has never been a greater selection of classy ECU's would really like a M130 in my R32 if it is fully functional.
jalai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

European (UK) Pricelist , where is M1 series too.

I don't know who can tell, what the different "Licence Levels" mean Shocked ?
stevieturbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled last night and found a couple of big threads on greenhulk pwc forum.

From it, it seems a base level might run only your specific engine, have basic logging which is decent anyway. Might run no boost or fancy features. As the ecu has so little information in it, it means it can operate much faster. All other levels are cost extra as required.

Sounds sensible enough I guess. But you'd need to be sure of your needs from the outset so you don't get left wanting.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
Hugh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve,

Will wait a couple of months to see if things change.

Am sure that Dave Rowe will give a reasonable response on whether it is the right way to go, I am pretty sure that it will be a good move.

Cheers

Hugh
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: M1 Update Reply with quote

An update to this thread:

We have several M-Series projects going on, and we are impressed with the software & hardware:

M192 twin-turbo Lambo V12
M130 Gearbox controller
M130 Subaru WRX 2.5L
M130 S&S V-Twin Land Speed Racer.

This is the ECU of the future. It addresses the I/O and data logging limitations of the MX00 series and incorporates a very powerful interface and the ability for developers to build our own features. Very impressed with both the products and support.

-neel
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
Hugh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neel,

Motec UK said it was not possible to use the M130 as a standalone ECU the last time I spoke to them.

Was there a large part of the ECU configuration missing that you had to sort out yourself?

Thanks

Hugh
Aur?lien

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess every motec dealers had the seminars now ?

The ecu sounds very very good. Can't wait for the own logic programmable ecu. Very Happy
John Reed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new M1 stuff is very different how it is structured coming from the M800 (and varients) world, but rest assured it is an awesome piece and definitely a game changer. I have done a few now and have been very impressed.

At first the different licenses seemed weird, but given the complexity of the ECU and what it is capable of it makes sense to not try and make it a "one size fits all/none" like the M800 but instead provide the tools and pathways for people to make it into whatever they need. Or simply buy one that has firmware engineered by MoTeC for a particular application, and not have to pay for all the other R&D that you will never use (such as jet ski kits or R35 GTR).
stevieturbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Reed wrote:
The new M1 stuff is very different how it is structured coming from the M800 (and varients) world, but rest assured it is an awesome piece and definitely a game changer. I have done a few now and have been very impressed.

At first the different licenses seemed weird, but given the complexity of the ECU and what it is capable of it makes sense to not try and make it a "one size fits all/none" like the M800 but instead provide the tools and pathways for people to make it into whatever they need. Or simply buy one that has firmware engineered by MoTeC for a particular application, and not have to pay for all the other R&D that you will never use (such as jet ski kits or R35 GTR).

Only thing with that approach, some customers may not know exactly what they need from the outset. They will develop over time, they will learn.
I'm sure they wont want to have to continually buy more add ons as they wish to try new things.

It would seem their approach will almost eliminate the DIY crowd, and tie the units heavily to their dealers. Maybe it's a business related thing ?
Some dealers are good....some not so good, so it sounds risky to me.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
John Reed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevieturbo wrote:
Only thing with that approach, some customers may not know exactly what they need from the outset. They will develop over time, they will learn.
I'm sure they wont want to have to continually buy more add ons as they wish to try new things.

It would seem their approach will almost eliminate the DIY crowd, and tie the units heavily to their dealers. Maybe it's a business related thing ?
Some dealers are good....some not so good, so it sounds risky to me.

It may eliminate the "cheap" DIY crowd but not sure that crowd has ever been big in MoTeC's business, simply due to the cost of quality electronics and support.

It will be possible for someone to buy the ECU and the licensing to simply do it all themselves.

Very soon there will be a package out for M1 that is fairly universal, and I think most people will be pleased with what they see (I was). It is intended to cover a large core group of users, and for those with specialized needs beyond that they now have better options than we have ever had to customize firmware specifically for themselves. It is also VERY well priced for what it is capable of.

The M800 platform looking back was probably a bit limited at first (DOS based, limited capability) but now look what it has become. This will be no different, except we are starting from a much, much higher technology point. Imagine what this will grow into in the same time frame.
busaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure about it yet i cant help wondering why the would not give you all the functionality in the first place, after all its in the ecu just not enabled no other manufacturer makes you pay for all the bits that should be there in the first place. and im baffled by all the software licences but i guess that's good marketing.
stevieturbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busaman wrote:
im not sure about it yet i cant help wondering why the would not give you all the functionality in the first place, after all its in the ecu just not enabled no other manufacturer makes you pay for all the bits that should be there in the first place. and im baffled by all the software licences but i guess that's good marketing.

I dont think it's good marketing to baffle potential customers.

I think it's good marketing to say "Here is an ecu that will do everything you need it to, both now and in the future. It costs this much, and nothing is hidden or requires more purchases"

Job done.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
busaman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was trying to be a bit more subtle but yes that's spot on lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> MoTeC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: