FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

Motec M4E and Laptop compatibility

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ironhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Motec M4E and Laptop compatibility Reply with quote

Apologies beforehand if this is a stupidish question...

Is there anyway to tune a Motec M4E with a modern Windows 7 laptop? Since I got the Motec I have been using the DOS style interface with an ancient Windows 95 laptop. This works, but the computer is worthless for anything else, is not online, etc.

Can this be done, or would I simply have to upgrade to a different ECU than the M4?

I figure there must be a way to do this, since the M4 is still being sold and I doubt buyers are using Win95 computers to tune them.
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of EMP (6.20D) runs fine on windows 7. Some video drivers dont like running it in full screen but there are work arounds posted as a sticky on Motec's own forum (M4/M48 section).
Ironhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the advice...

I loaded Motec EMP 6.20D on my Windows 7 laptop. Turns out I have 64 bit Windows which is not compatible with the software. So I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and installed Windows Virtual PC to run things in Windows XP mode. At that point the Motec software would apparently run, so.....

Then I bought a serial to USB adaptor cable, and downloaded the USB drivers from the Motec site. I configured the adaptor cable to run through Com1 (as suggested on the Motec forum). BUT...no matter what I do I cannot seem to get the laptop to connect to the M4E. Not to mention the window for the Motec software on my computer screen is so small I am not sure I could see any information anyway (I know there are "maybe" workarounds for this problem).

If you can discern from my tone, this has been rather expensive and frustrating. It seems like it has all been a bit "much" just trying (and failing) to get a relatively modern laptop to connect to the M4E. I guess if I want easy, I am supposed to fork out the dough for an M880 or something?

Not sure what to do now.... Mad
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you sure your's is a M4E (s/n >3000). M4's earlier to that needed also a PCI cable to connect. That not being the case then I suspect it is your usb/serial adapter, they are very hit and miss especially with win7 in my experience.
Have you got a desktop pc that you could drag out to the car to try? Most desktops still have a native serial port.

FYI, if it is the motec window that is small hit alt+enter to go full screen.
keithmac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make sure my tuning laptop has a real serial port, most business Compaq and Toshibas do.

Some ECU`s use an odd baud rate that the USB to Serial adaptors can`t handle, I have Sewel adaptor and it sems to work fine for most things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> MoTeC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: