FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

Auto Tuning Software for Holley Commander Pro 950
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tzalenski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Auto Tuning Software for Holley Commander Pro 950 Reply with quote

Hello,

Over the summer I completed the installation of a Holley Commander Pro 950 TBI kit to replace the worn out 4 bbl carburetor on my 1967 Cougar. Then I started the time consuming process of tuning it. The instructions describe a manual procedure where one person drives the car, while another person adjusts the table using the supplied software. The driver is supposed to vary the engine speed and load to cover as much as the table as possible. The passenger is supposed to modify each cell in the map so the air/fuel ratio is optimized and the whole map is "smooth".

To me, this procedure seemed primitive. I wanted/envisioned software that would tune the map by itself as I drove. Just me and a notebook PC in the front passenger seat. I had a feeling it was possible, because another EFI/TBI vendor (RetroTek) offers it, albeit for $500 more.

Taking my car to a tuning shop and paying even more money wasn't an option. To finish tuning my car, I either had to find someone to drive my car all weekend while I tuned the system, or create the auto-tuning software myself. Being a professional computer engineer, I like challenges. I also had a good idea how to solve the problem. All I had to do was collect real time engine parameters (e.g. rpm, oxygen sensor voltage, etc.) and send back the correct injector pulse width settings. Since Holley wouldn't send me any technical information (no surprise), I spent a month reverse engineering the data stream between the car and the PC software. Then I spent another 3 weeks developing the optimization algorithm. When I thought it was working well, I started driving around town and it worked just as I had imagined!

I now have a program that can tune the look-up table as I drive. Send me an email if you're interested in obtaining a copy.

Regards,

Tom
cutlassefi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Auto tuning Reply with quote

I'd be interested in viewing that. On an Accel system, you can get the extremes done first, (low speed, wide open) then use the interpelate function to smooth the rest of the table. Works pretty well as long as the application isn't something goofy.
Also Accel has an overlay fueling table function as well. You can datalog for up to 45 minutes then overlay each cell. It tells you how much they're off. You then multiply it by that number and it corrects it.

I'm still interested though.

Email me at fastone01@hotmail.com

Thanks
Mark
Vic43

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great program will it work on the MPFI system also I have been trying to program one handed and drive it is very hard to do.
I would be interested in your program.

Thanks Vic
Matt Cramer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a useful project. One concern I have with automatic tuning software is that if you get a misfire, it can create a false lean reading which needs to be filtered out. I've heard of a couple cases where somebody let it keep enrichening the map at a point where it was already getting rich misfires.
tzalenski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Demo Version and Instructions Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for showing an interest in my program to auto tune Holley's Commander 950 Pro EFI system.
Here are the links for the instructions and demo program.

Instructions = http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=851998&da=y

Demo Program = http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=842059&da=y

Notes:
1. This version only works for speed density, not alpha-N.
2. The engine must be warmed up and running in closed loop before running auto tune software.
3. This version is setup for 1 bar MAP sensors (normally aspirated engines).
4. This version doesn't monitor/update the spark map.
5. The demo version monitors but will not update the fuel map settings in the ECPU. The non-demo version will update the fuel map. If you like the demo version, I can send you the fully functional version for a $15 registration fee. This is a one time charge and will entitle you to free upgrades.

Please email me if:
1. You're unable to download the files.
2. The files aren't functional.
3. You have questions.
4. You have suggestions for future versions.

Regards,

Tom
tzalenski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: New version supports all map and oxygen sensors Reply with quote

Hello,

I've updated my program to work with 1, 2, and 3 bar MAP sensors, along with narrow and wide band oxygen sensors. The new demo program can be downloaded from:

V1.2 Demo program: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=942720&da=y

Regards,

Tom
tzalenski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Newer demo version supports all map and oxygen sensors Reply with quote

Hello,

I've found and fixed the bugs in my V1.2 demo program. Here's the link to V1.3:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=950409&da=y

Please try it and tell me how it works. Thanks.

Regards,

Tom
tzalenski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Newer demo version Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to thank all the people that have emailed me and offered positive feedback along with suggested improvements. Here's the latest demo version:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=996745&da=y

After downloading, just rename the extension from "rename2exe" to "exe".

Keep your suggestions coming.

Regards,

Tom
HiPerformance289

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and popped the $15 for this auto tuning software and am really pleased with what I got. I especially like the display that they use, it's an analog bar graph which allows you at a glance to see what any of the sensors are reading. Much better then Holley's display.
I spent some time riding around and letting it make changes as it wanted. I then looked at each of the changed cells and compared them to a previous data log I had created, all the changes were spot on.
One thing I did note was that I was happy to see is that the changes made appear to be small and as long as you stay in the same cell it gets re-examined and updated if needed. Meaning that I didn't see any huge changes made at a time.
This would have saved me a bunch of time had I had it when I first started using the C950. I expect that it'll make my seasonal checks and adjustments much easier in the future.
Nota50

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in this but can't get the instructions to open. What program do I need?
tzalenski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions are in a Microsoft WORD document. If that's a problem, I will also post them as a PDF document.
Nota50

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to download and purchase this. What, if any other program will I need on my laptop to do so other than the C950 software, and where do i paypal the money to?

Thanks Mike
tzalenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

You will only need two programs
1. The original software offered by Holley for initializing your ECU.
2. The fully functional version of my auto-tuning program.

I recommend first using the Holley software to initialize all the setup parameters. Then shut down the Holley software. After the vehicle is warmed up, start up my auto-tuning software. If the "Automatic Fuel Map Updates" option is enabled, the program will adjust the fuel map as you drive.

I'm charging a one time registration fee of $15. This fee entitles you to free upgrades. Use tomzeect@netscape.net as the PayPal payment address.

Regards,

Tom
383z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how well will your auto tune software work with more radical cams, i have a 383 sbc with .500 lift 236/242 duration, would this cause any problems?
tzalenski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I know some cams will create less vacuum, which might limit the range seen by the MAP sensor. For the Holley system, the map sensor readings are assigned to 16 different rows in the fuel map. With reduced vacuum, you would access fewer than 16 rows.

My program doesn't care how many rows (or columns) of the fuel map are accessed/updated. It will work with whatever data it gets.

Write again if I didn't fully answer your question.

Regards,

Tom
tzalenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to again thank all the people that have emailed me their feedback, both positive and negative. I've tried to incorporate many of your suggestions into this latest version. Among the improvements are:

- Directly edit (same as the Holley software) any fuel cell value. (Press the right mouse button for that cell)
- The ability to lock a fuel cell value to prevent it from changing.
- 3D view of the fuel map (same as the Holley software, only prettier)
- An algorithm to smooth the entire map.
- The ability to "play back" previously logged data.

I've also updated the operations manual, which is now a PDF file.

The newest links are:

V1.9 demo: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1102685&da=y

Operations Manual: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1102684&da=y

Thanks for your patience, and keep emailing me your feedback.

Regards,

Tom (tomzeect@netscape.net)
tzalenski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've found and fixed a bug with this program when attempting to communicate over COM2 serial port.

Here's the link to the updated demo version:

V1.9A demo: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1118900&da=y

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks to Jim H. who first emailed me on this.

Regards,

Tom
Artic-trans-am

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
after working with 950 some years I am happy to see that someone is doing this program.

But some questions.
do this tune timing map and fuel map?
do this software tune narrow and wide band O2 sensor, I see you have added this in V1.2?

hope to test this out soon!

Ok----- I did look in the manual and it is not adjusting spark, But handle narrow and wide O2 sensor.

I have to say thank you for creating this program. I have stil not run this, but this look helpfull, compared to tuning manualy. I know how terrible that is.
tzalenski

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I appreciate your positive feedback. Please write again after you have used it on your vehicle.

Regards,

Tom
shughes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New guy here...I can't get this to run. And the link to instructions no longer works...can I get some help?

thnx
scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> Holley All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: