FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

commander 950 fuel injectors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: commander 950 fuel injectors Reply with quote

I am purchasing a used throttle body commander 950 and converting its use to a multiport.I have a big block chevy 433 cubic inch 500 hp.What size injectors and where is the cheapest place to buy them?Also,how hard is it to tune a car with this setup and a 5 speed?Thanks
cutlassefi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Holley EFI Reply with quote

You'll need 36's to be safe. Hopefully you got a good deal on the Commander 950. They're fine with lower hp stuff and I'm sure I'll get some flack for this, but on the higher hp stuff they give up alot. They are a total batch fire unit, all eight at once, twice per power cycle. You'll always have 2 cylinders that run noticeably leaner and 2 cylinders that run noticeably richer than the rest. The University of No. Carolina Charlotte has one in test that was donated. Let's just say they've had some issues.

I can sell you the size injectors you need or as always you can go online and I'm sure you'll find what you need for a reasonable cost.

This is strictly my opinion - There are alot of good systems out there but for the money the Commander 950 and the original Edelbrock Pro Flo are the 2 biggest pieces of **** on the market today. You can get much better, more tuneable sytems for not alot more $$$ somewhere else.
gump

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say I WAS going to purchase it.So the commander and the old pro flo are no good? I can get a really good deal on a pro flo set up $1000.00 part no.3550 bbc. What is wrong with this unit?Thanks in advance.
cutlassefi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: BBC EFI Reply with quote

In a nutshell, it still uses chips, it has limited tuneability, can't adapt a wideband, doesn't control fans, won't datalog, etc. Is that enough? Edelbrock says it's semi sequential. Have you ever known a woman to be SEMI pregnant? It either is or it isn't. It fires two at a time, one on power TDC the other on overlap TDC and it's not adjustable.

Again for mild applications I'm sure it would be fine. But if you have any decent cam at all, it makes it that much harder to tune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> Holley All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: