FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

Video classes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turboivo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Video classes Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

For me seems it is almost impossible to participate in EFI courses. So for all people like me, do you think that DVD recording of EFI classes and selling them through internet is a good idea?

Thanks!
Ivo
ZyBeR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great idea!
twincharger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd buy it!
p1prodrive

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me to !... even with passing the ACP class Wink
sohc_mshue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing this would not allow you to ask any questions you might have on the material. IMO it really woudn't compare to actually taking the class.
Team Addiction

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you pay $5K for a video of ACP classes though??

Think about it for a second the $$$ just isnt there for it to make any sense.
Turboivo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you pay $5K for a video of ACP classes though??

Think about it for a second the $$$ just isnt there for it to make any sense.

If I understand your post correctly and following same way of thinking I could ask why should I buy books? Like I said before a DVD is my only option at the moment.
Regards!

How did you get to that $5K price?
Team Addiction

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the frustration and Im just geussing that it wouldnt be very fair to ppl that paid $5K to go through ACP and then find out they could have just bought a DVD therefore in all fairness the DVD should cost $5K minus the cost of renting a dyno for 2 days as this is one of the benefits of the class.

However I in no way represent EFIU and this was simply a thought.
Turboivo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand that. The $5K price would be fair if for instance only 100-200 DVD's are released. Pls don't forget the benefits of direct contact with instructor, asking questions, other students questions... and the dyno experience and all other advantages of live classes. By me it is pretty much like buying/reading a book. Anyway, this is just an idea, nothing special here. It would be nice to hear Ben's opinion at the end.
Regards!
Team Addiction

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a situation such as yours I wonder if some type of video conference class would work?? For example a webcam setup during an ACP class so that you could get the most out of the experience maybe?? I think Ben is pretty reasonable and if approached right who knows might work?!

Seperately Bens book is very informative I highly reccomend it as it covers many of the topics taught at EFIU. Also FAST offers a DVD of there system that I believe is about 2 hours long and covers install and tuning.
Turboivo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have many books like Greg's but no Ben's one. I'll fix that ASAP Wink Thanks for your opinions. Right now I have to save a lot of money for current projects like our own 4 cyl sequential ign/inj standalone and in very close future- a selfbuild dyno . We'll see...
tastyratz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to contribute to this too.
I cant afford to attend the efi101 course anytime soon, and I certainly couldn't afford a trip out on top of that. The reality is I may be many years away from doing that.

I would like the ability to purchase a dvd of the course. I understand that it wouldn't include the ability to ask questions and get hands on experience... but for those of us where that is not an option this would provide an excellent alternative.

Many people want to try their hands at tuning but cannot afford the luxury of an easy $1k+ to swing (by the time you pay the ~500 for course plus flight, hotel, time off from work, etc) This would provide an opportunity to us as well as a much larger untapped market.
Gadgeroonie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a difficult one,

you will not be able to ask the DVD any questions

secondly Ben needs to find a way to prevent the DVDS being copied

at the end of the day actually driving a car on the dyno for yourself is the ONLY way to learn
Chris Macellaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

As the gentleman stated above, not everyone interested in EFI Training has the financial means for a trip to the US. This is one of the reasons why we have decided to sell the training videos online. No DVDs.

The videos will be downloaded via our secure website and the student will be allowed to view the video for a certain period of time with a set number of views. After a certain amount of time and number of views the video will expire regardless of the material being downloaded to your hard drive or not. A password and user name will be assigned to each student. This will limit the video from being copied and redistributed for the most part. But still allows our students to revisit the material a couple of times unlike a live class. This is something that would be much more difficult to control with a DVD format. Also, no shipping charges or waiting weeks on the material to be delivered looks to be a big plus. You pay for the class and if desired, immediately watch the video or whenever it is convenient for you from the leisure of your own home or office.

I do disagree with a live presentation/hands on class being the only way to learn. Granted, not having a live instructor on site does not allow the student to ask the instructor questions, but everyone does have this discussion forum available to them. We will offer these classes at a lower cost than we would for a traditional "live class" environment setting. These videos will still offer that one on one feel and will be more than worth the cost of the class. EFI University would produce nothing less for our students!

The first video is in the final stages. We will offer it after the website has been modified to accommodate the video classes. This will be set in motion very soon guys, so keep watching the forum!

thank you
Chris Smile
TurboCamaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
That is great Chris, online courses will be a great tool!

When analyzing whether it is "too expensive" to travel to take part in a course with instruction and tools at hand we all must take into account all of the variables and ramifications. When I took the ACP course while at first impression 5k is a ton of dough, plus the cost of travel and accomodations (& to keep momma happy) it really isn't when you take into account things such as dyno time, fuel, wear and tear on a vehicle or even aquiring use of said vehicle, time, etc. Not to mention god forbid we error due to lack of experience or knowledge and break a motor, shouldn't ever happen if proper tuning is utilized. It made sense for me to not break my personal vehicle before I started the tuning business never mind now that I have a business in place and the associated efficiencies (read allowable billable hours) you learn. To put this in perspective I am an Engineer, had dyno time and have been tuning (carbureted) cars for years, attendance at the ACP Course brought together knowledge and techniques that would have taken me years to learn if I ever really truly grasped them.

Saying this I will be taking all of the online courses applicable as well as other courses at a training facility, s/a EFI Live and Diesel Training.
tastyratz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See,
for you spending money on something like that makes sense. For people who want to attend this course as a means to make a living I fully recommend opening the wallet and going for the full experience.

For people like me? I wont be making money off this. I have no intentions of financial gain. This would be something I want to dabble with for fun and feel I am able to competently tune my own personal vehicle to a reasonable degree. I don't plan on going past that. I plan on buying the FAST dvd to watch for $30.00usd, I have a couple of books on tuning... and I will pick up the aem ems training dvd from drifting.com once its released. In my instance the $445 even if travel was free doesn't make sense when I could just have a pro do my tune getting to that point.

Ben offers a great program and if I have to learn from anywhere I would prefer to learn from efi101 (even if the online version comes with no form of certification)

Has there been any discussion in terms of price structure for the video based course? I am hoping it is significantly cheaper than attending since there wont be much recurring cost. My personal budget is not very high right now.
Chris Macellaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for all of your feedback guys!

Prices will depend on what material is covered. So each class may be priced a little different. At this point we have not set a firm price for any of the classes.

Have a great day!
Chris Smile
98vtec

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would definitely pay to get this stuff online!!
supercharged88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to am very interested in doing such a course.
I live in Australia and am far to busy to leave work to attend such a course.
The Online Format would be an excellent way for me to partake in this.
Chris, would the course have a question based examination at the end of each session or at the end of the complete course to be able to give a different certificate of completion for this type of training.
Obviously we couldnt get marked for dyno use skills, however some type of grading for what we have done would be nice, even if it is not nreally the full hands on course.
Just a few suggestions.
Regards
Dave.
Chris Macellaro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercharged88 wrote:
I to am very interested in doing such a course.
I live in Australia and am far to busy to leave work to attend such a course.
The Online Format would be an excellent way for me to partake in this.
Chris, would the course have a question based examination at the end of each session or at the end of the complete course to be able to give a different certificate of completion for this type of training.
Obviously we couldnt get marked for dyno use skills, however some type of grading for what we have done would be nice, even if it is not nreally the full hands on course.
Just a few suggestions.
Regards
Dave.

Hello,

That is great to hear!

The video classes will open up a lot of educational opportunity for sure. With the classes being available to people all over the world, sending certificates all over the globe would prove to be pretty expensive. Unfortunately this would drive up the cost of the video for everyone, US state side or not. We are striving very hard to make a sensible economic solution for everyone.

We are looking at different formats for the final class product. We may incorporate a testing procedure submission system. At this point it makes more sense to have a chapter/class type review, but include the answer at the end of the video.

Everyone who takes the class will be on a master credentials list. Just as we have a list for the individuals who pass our Certification test. We may even have a master class participation list. If an individual takes all of the required classes, then he/she will be entitled to a certificate that serves as notice to all of the education requirements set by EFI University.

Thank you for all the feedback, please keep it coming.
Chris Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> EFI Advanced All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: