FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

BIN download to TEC 2 "stalls" after one segment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: BIN download to TEC 2 "stalls" after one segment Reply with quote

All,

New to the forum, and "hi" to all.....

I'm having a very similar problem to one posted earlier (I read that one but it didn't help with my issue). My TEC 2 has the 202Q2 EPROM, with the WINTEC 2.1.2 software. I have an old "full tower" PC that works fine thru it's RS232 port with the TEC 2. Unfortunately, I'm not going to lug the tower along with me while road tuning.

I also have a Dell Latitude laptop, with XP SP2 OS, also with a "real RS232 serial port", and it can monitor engine functions, but stalls (after sending 1 segment) while downloading a BIN file to the car. I can "scope" the RS232 lines and see the segment 1 datastream to the TEC, so the laptop is attempting to send the download....but the download stalling problem is driving me crazy--unable to update the BIN with the laptop, so the laptop is useless for road tuning. Frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated. Again--the full tower PC works fine with the TEC 2, but the laptop (and I've tried three of them) do not.

One reply in this thread recommended "tweaking" the laptop's Comm 1 port specs, and I have. Both the full tower and the laptop are set for 9600 baud, no data flow control, etc. Same settings on both--but one works (the tower) and one does not (the laptop). Since the tower works with the TEC 2, I've got to believe the TEC 2 is fine. I've also measured the 0 and 1 bit signal levels and both the laptop "transmit" and TEC 2 "transmit" levels look OK.

Can any one help? This car is an older project I'm attempt to bring back to life, and I'm uncertain I want to spend the $$$$ for a new unit when the old one still seems to have life in it.

As an alternative, if someone has an old/spare laptop that works with the TEC 2, I'd be interested. (It will be the fourth laptop I've tried).
Techsalvager

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS differences between the two pcs?
4SFED4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is the OS's. The UARTS in the two systems are different affecting communication. Try slowing down the laptop even more... shoot, try for 2400 baud and see if it communicates. Also make sure you have the right comm port selected in the TEC software and that it is using the port you are configuring. I.E. you slowed down COM2, make sure COM2 is selected by the TEC.

Good luck... keep fiddling, you will get it.
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys......

The tower is running Win95. The Dell Latitude D600 laptop is running XP SP2. I may try wiping the Dell's OS clean, and installing Win95 (I think I might have CD's with that version, around somewhere.....)

As for the ports, I'm using COMM 1 on both the tower and laptop. Both have been configured for 9600 BPS, 8 data bits, parity = none, stop bits = 1, and flow control = none. Again, the tower fully works in this configuration, but the laptop is only able to read the engine data (and "burps" when I try to download the BIN). I'm using the proper port configuration (with the PC and the TEC set to COMM 1, and with a dual-trace oscilloscope I can watch the serial data "flow" to/from the TEC). I haven't gone so far as to put a serial data monitor/sniffer on the actual lines--and unfortunately, may give up before it gets to that. The serial data voltage levels to/from the tower and laptop are about the same (in case the TEC UART is THAT sensitive to signal levels).

About this time, I'm open to ANY suggestions. I'll play with the baud rates, and probably load Win95 into the laptop.

Anyone have a "proven" laptop for TEC 2, software 2.1.2, EPROM 202Q2 that they'd be willing to sell? Sigh......
keithmac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a Compaq Evo N410c (Windows XP) with real serial port on a few ECU's with no problems, may be worth looking into what chipset they use?.
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I tried the Dell laptop with a 2400 bps data rate, and something interesting happened. I was able to do one (1) full download from the Dell. However.....after that one successful download, I had the same problem--all attempts to download after that sent only one BIN segment, and then nothing. Of course, when that happens it effectively wipes out the "good" BIN that had been in the TEC, and all monitor data becomes garbage after that.

By shutting down the Dell (stopping Windows, power off), and then restarting it, I was able to do another full download.

Annoying. Frustrating. Irritating.....
ERA Cobra clone with 428 cu in NASCAR FE Ford and four-speed toploader; McLaren CanAM clone with 355 cu in small block Chev, twin turbos, 25 lbs boost, intercoolers, Electromotive TEC 2, Porsche 930 transaxle
4SFED4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your findings make me think it is the UART chip itself. There was a time, late 90's I think, that the UART's were significantly changed to keep up with faster I/O requirements. Sometimes you can get them to work, sometimes you cannot, or like you are experiencing you get sporadic behavior.

Search eBay for an older laptop with Windows 98, $100 bucks or so and you will be good. If possible get one with a newer battery.

Or... OR.... since it is that time of the year buy yourself and me (of course) a new TEC GT and don't worry about serial port issues! (grin)
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4SFED4 wrote:

Search eBay for an older laptop with Windows 98, $100 bucks or so and you will be good. If possible get one with a newer battery.

Or... OR.... since it is that time of the year buy yourself and me (of course) a new TEC GT and don't worry about serial port issues! (grin)

Buying a new TEC GT, or keeping franks and beans on the kitchen table?? What a choice..... Of course, I could stand to eat less and loose a few pounds....(!)

As for eBay.... Yup.... That's where I bought my three Laptops, all with "early Windows" and a real RS-232 port. I'm out about $350, with no promising results yet. Perhaps one more eBay buy will do it....!
ERA Cobra clone with 428 cu in NASCAR FE Ford and four-speed toploader; McLaren CanAM clone with 355 cu in small block Chev, twin turbos, 25 lbs boost, intercoolers, Electromotive TEC 2, Porsche 930 transaxle
Steve Arndt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having similar problems with an old Haltech F9 and winXP. By running the dos executable EXE in dosbox emulator it works. Maybe try that.
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I was having similar problems with an old Haltech F9 and winXP. By running the dos executable EXE in dosbox emulator it works. Maybe try that.

Steve.... that sounds good. I'll give it a try, right after I figure what a dosbox emulator is.....(!......LOL)

To continue the saga, last night I did an eBay purchase of another (my fourth) antiquated laptop (an IBM, Windows 98, true serial port) to see if I can get this thing working...... (After that, a new TEC GT may be my la$t re$ort......

Best of the holidays to all of you, and thanks for your inputs!
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Perhaps? Reply with quote

I just re-learned I can enter my DOS shell in my laptop with the old "cmd" command. (Obviously, I have been living in the Windows GUI for too long, and forgot about the DOS shell). I also should be able to enter DOS right from the boot setup. At the DOS level, I was able load the WinTEC.exe file and view the WinTEC menus.

Unknown at this time, if running in DOS will make my serial comm problem go away. I have the TEC 2 apart right now (checking EPROM dates and external wiring), but tomorrow I'll try to run WinTEC at the DOS prompt, and see if I get good BAT file downloads.

Again, my thanks to all for your suggestions!
4SFED4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun... check to see if the UART's are 16550's in the desktop and then compare to what you have in the laptops.

Kind of off topic. Ever seen this?

http://www.fueltech.net/ft400-efi-prod-3.html

Looks tempting...
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Success! Dell Latitude D600 + Win XP, SP 2 + TEC 2 WT202Q Reply with quote

Great way to start the new year!! I (finally) got my Dell Latitude communicating with RS-232 to my TEC 2. I realize the TEC 2 is a dinosaur to many of you, but it was part of an older project car I was bringing back to life. I'm posting details in case any of you are experience the same problem, to save you the frustration and angst I suffered.

A quick recap of my problem: I was able to successfully run the TEC 2 with an older PC full tower. Unfortunately, with my Dell D600, I could monitor engine functions (once I had loaded a BIN file into the TEC 2 from the full tower), but when I tuned parameters and attempted to update the TEC 2 BIN file from the Dell, I got indications the first segment was loaded, and then the download stopped. That resulted in a corrupted download into the TEC. In short, I could not tune the engine without using the inconvenient, bulky full tower--not handy when you are attempting to tune while road testing.

I found the problem to be related to the first in, first out (FIFO) buffers of my UART chip in the Dell..... Go figure..... It took a lot of experimentation to figure out the problem,,,, but now, no problems(!).

Here is how/where/what I did to fix the problem. Again, this was on a Dell D600, with Windows XP SP2, 9600 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control. The WIN TEC software was 2.1.2 with the WT202Q2 EPROM:

Enter the control panel; click on System; click on Hardware; click on Device Manager; click on Ports; click on your proper comm port (mine was Com1); click on Port Settings; click on Advanced; SET BOTH THE TRANSMIT AND RECEIVE FIFO BUFFERS TO 1 (LOW). Use OK to back out of this chain of Window frames.

That should do it. I'm posting this for any other users of the (ancient) TEC 2 who may also have a RS-232 comm problem. I hope this might help.

Ken
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4SFED4 wrote:
Kind of off topic. Ever seen this?

http://www.fueltech.net/ft400-efi-prod-3.html

Looks tempting...

Ooohhhh....... I like it! Maybe for my next project.....unless, of course, the company wants to send me the hardware for "beta testing"!!
CanAm Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Just for grins, I tried two other laptops.

My original tower (Win 95) worked fine.
My first laptop (a Dell Latitude C600, Win XP SP2) had the stalling problem.
The second laptop (IBM Thinkpat T23, Win 2000) worked fine...!
The third laptop (a second Dell Latitude C600, Win XP SP2) worked fine....!

Great. I spent two $@)#(*$@ weeks using a Dell laptop that has some deranged, temperamental RS-232 port. At least, I learned something in the effort--and now I have spare parts for the Dell Laptop that actually works!
Patraw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello guys, maybe are you interested in electronic equipment, usb dongle logger,you can have a look
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> Electromotive All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: