FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

Ford cooling fan module. What frequency?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kickerzx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Ford cooling fan module. What frequency? Reply with quote

As topic asks.
I am trying to find info on what frequency theese modules work with. they look like this (random picture)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/RAND-NEW-FORD-OEM-ENGINE-COOLING-FAN-RELAY-6W1Z-8B658-AC-940002904/925703200.html

It got two plugs on it. One in that contains a + a - and a thin wire feeding a PWM signal from the ECU. The other plug goes with + and - directly to the cooling fan motor.
I figured it might be useful for an aftermarket fuelpump controller or something simlar but need to find the Hz it works with to see if it could be of any use to me at all.
joe90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's replied...so.
I've got no idea but I'd guess that it's an amplifier not unlike an ignition amplifier. Whatever frequency goes in comes out too.
It will probably work OK from DC up to a few hundred Hz.
The + and - will probably be 12V and earth. The third wire will be the input signal.
Jaycar do kitsets too that do the same sort of thing. They often need a bit of modification to make them do what you want.

You can also use ignition amplifiers to drive motors. For example taking a fuel injector signal, interfacing it with the ignition amp (PTU/igniter) and interfacing that with a motor so that when IDC increases, so does the speed of the motor.
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with that particular part, but many similar fan controllers are just a solid state relay type device and as Joe90 says will be happy up to a few hundred Hz.
I use these regularly for PWM fuel pump control at 400Hz:
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-931773987-Ceramic-Solid-State/dp/B000VU56L2#productDetails
baldur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the Ford fan well but I have used Temic fans off BMW and Mercedes cars, with 850 watt brushless motors. My experiments showed the integrated controller on those only reacted when given a PWM control signal at 10Hz, tolerating maybe 20% variance in that frequency. Very nice fans I might add.
kickerzx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replys guys. Seems like i might just have to setup a rig eand test it too see what works.
thedge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if want the Ford module specifically or can use any module.

The Corvette C6 one takes 128Hz.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-80803-Control-Module-Kit/dp/B000EQP2AS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376625268&sr=8-1&keywords=ACDelco+15-80803+Control+Module+Kit

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40215&page=2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: