FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

Fastest time to get into closed loop.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpengineprep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Fastest time to get into closed loop. Reply with quote

I am tuning an engine with a Motec M800 and would like it to go into closed loop as fast as possible. Currently, it takes about a minute and ten seconds after starting until it goes into closed loop. Is there anything in setup that could make this faster?

Do narrow band O2's go into closed loop quicker? I have seen some ultra fast light off narrow bands that are ready in 5 seconds. Are there any UFLO sensors that are compatible with Motec?
David Ferguson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First some questions: Where is your Lambda data coming from? M800 Lambda controller, external controller connected via an analog channel or CAN bus?

If using internal M800 Lambda make sure the sensor type selected in Adjust->Sensor Setup->Wide Band Lambda Setup->Sensor Type is one of the "Fast Heat" choices.

What is the value in Adjust->Functions->Lambda Control->Warm-up Delay?
What is the value of Adjust->Functions->Lambda Control->Active Engine Temp?

Both of those parameters will control the time before closed loop lambda control becomes active.
http://veracitydata.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hpengineprep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Ferguson wrote:
First some questions: Where is your Lambda data coming from? M800 Lambda controller, external controller connected via an analog channel or CAN bus?

If using internal M800 Lambda make sure the sensor type selected in Adjust->Sensor Setup->Wide Band Lambda Setup->Sensor Type is one of the "Fast Heat" choices.

What is the value in Adjust->Functions->Lambda Control->Warm-up Delay?
What is the value of Adjust->Functions->Lambda Control->Active Engine Temp?

Both of those parameters will control the time before closed loop lambda control becomes active.

I am using the internal M800. I did not have the type set to fast heat because the Motec instructions said not to. I will try it though. Active engine temp is set to 24C. Warm up delay is set to 5.
Roberto Arano

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fast is too fast:

1) Sensor is hot, but exhaust stream is not and so water droplets contact Lambda sensor internals causing damage. (thermal shock)

2) Heating too fast and aging the heating element prematurely. (another mode of thermal shock)

it's named efi UNIVERSITY not efi "Bragging" Smile
hpengineprep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I changed the setting to fast heat, feed back starts within twenty seconds on cold start and within ten on warm start.it seems to be pretty effective at controlling mixture even with that little warm up. The car does not have to pass emissions, but it does need cats so I want to see if I can get the emissions clean just for my personal curiosity.

I understand that it may reduce sensor life when set in this mode.
Roberto Arano

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it may reduce sensor life and sometimes suddenly vs linearly, it being fairly random if exhaust condensation makes contact with the wrong area at the wrong time. There are different nose pieces available on the sensor some shield better and some allow faster sampling (in terms of gas exchange not warm up)

it's named efi UNIVERSITY not efi "Bragging" Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> MoTeC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: