FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

Apex Blog Post - AEM Infinity ECU from SEMA 2011
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> New Product Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Apex Blog Post - AEM Infinity ECU from SEMA 2011 Reply with quote

We just got back from SEMA 2011, where we met with many of our suppliers about new products. Of great interest is the new AEM Infinity-10 ECU - on paper it has the capability to run almost every non-DI motor and looks really powerful.

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/aem-infinity-ecu-preview-apex-reports-from-sema-2011

Check it out and check back for more new products from SEM 2011!
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
MrDomino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redacted.

Last edited by MrDomino on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrDomino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can someone explain to me what's good about this ECU over exisitng ones? I really don't know too much about electronics/processors.
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Benefits Reply with quote

Quote:
So can someone explain to me what's good about this ECU over exisitng ones? I really don't know too much about electronics/processors.

The answer right now is we don't know - we haven't tested it yet. But specification-wise it got more inputs/outputs, a faster processor and more memory than just about anything in the market. So it may end up being an absolutely excellent product. Next step is to test is and see how it delivers.

-Neel
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
MrDomino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you test new ECUs? I'm looking foward to the review once you get your hands on it.
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Evaluating new ECUs Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you test new ECUs? I'm looking foward to the review once you get your hands on it.

We generally do an installation on a vehicle we know well, and then evaluate the ease of installation & setup compared to what's already known. Then we tune the vehicle and evaluate the performance - power, consistency, usability and features. Finally we drive the vehicle on the street for some time to see how well it adapts in the real world.

-neel
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
Turboivo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very impressive for an ECU. Custom control strategies are available/patented already but in another brand standalone ECM.
stevieturbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AEMís tuner software has always been a favorite of mine, rivaling the best for ease-of-use and intuitive design.

obviously I'm a DIY'er and have very limited experience with AEM.

But myself and a couple of other people who have used AEM find their software horrific and terrible to use. Nothing nice about it at all.
Far too many menus and unclear explanations of what they are for.

I know many people who disliked their GEMS' parent for similar reasons.

But obviously such an ecu does sound great on paper

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: not at all Reply with quote

Quote:
But myself and a couple of other people who have used AEM find their software horrific and terrible to use. Nothing nice about it at all.

Interesting, because myself and quite a few other tuners I know find it to be the best part of the AEM product. Perhaps it needs to be documented better in some places, but I'd be interested to hear what you're comparing it to? Many other packages lack the simple usability with table manipulation, etc that AEM has. If you work on a wide variety of or heavily modified engines, you'll start to miss all those menus...

-Neel
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
stevieturbo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: not at all Reply with quote

APEX Speed Technology wrote:
Quote:

Interesting, because myself and quite a few other tuners I know find it to be the best part of the AEM product. Perhaps it needs to be documented better in some places, but I'd be interested to hear what you're comparing it to? Many other packages lack the simple usability with table manipulation, etc that AEM has. If you work on a wide variety of or heavily modified engines, you'll start to miss all those menus...

-Neel

Ive used Motec, Haltech, Link, DTA, Simtek. The AEM just seems to have menu upon menu upon menu. Triggering setup is awkward, things like coil dwell etc

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: software Reply with quote

Quote:
Ive used Motec, Haltech, Link, DTA, Simtek. The AEM just seems to have menu upon menu upon menu. Triggering setup is awkward, things like coil dwell etc

Yeah, but where you see complexity in all those menus, I see features that I miss with some of the other ECUs. I agree with you that the triggering setup, coil dwell, etc are odd but from what I understand that's a function of the hardware they were using and this won't be the case with the Infinity ECUs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm pretty much on the same page as you on this one, but I think that if they nail the quality/usability on this ECU, it offers specifications not found anywhere near this price range.

-Neel
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
Matt Cramer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that amount of processing power, I wonder if it's running some sort of model based code. If so, tuning software may be very different from other ECUs. Or they may have planned to offer that capability but let you use conventional VE tables.
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: strategies Reply with quote

Quote:
With that amount of processing power, I wonder if it's running some sort of model based code. If so, tuning software may be very different from other ECUs. Or they may have planned to offer that capability but let you use conventional VE tables.

More and more high-end ECU are running model-based code, but I think conventional VE tables are still likely.

-Neel
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
MrDomino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is considered to be model-based code? I'm just asking because I think that's what we're using in my workplace for our engine although I've only been here a few weeks so I'm not too sure about the software.
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: model-based code Reply with quote

Quote:
What is considered to be model-based code? I'm just asking because I think that's what we're using in my workplace for our engine although I've only been here a few weeks so I'm not too sure about the software

Oh dear... let's see. Columbus, Indiana.... new worksplace.... engine calibration... you much work for Cummins. I have a lot of friends there, nice little town.

Model-based software usually means your engine operation is based on airflow and torque models. So your software contains a model of your engine's torque output and airflow requirements for certain operating conditions and the software determines fuel and ignition requirements based on this.

-Neel
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
MrDomino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I forgot that my location was in my profile. I may edit it to say Indianapolis since it's only 30 miles away and should make it harder for others to determine where I work. But yeah, I really love it here so far although I'm trying to find someone in the area that does more performance based work and would be willing to teach me some stuff or just let me occasionally watch them tune cars on the weekends. The diesel engine tuning is kind of slow and based mainly around emissions so there's not much performance work being done.

So how would one go about setting up a torque and airflow model for an engine from scratch? I'm guessing the ECU has software that it can use but wouldn't it need quite a few details in order to develop an accurate model?
APEX Speed Technology

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: models Reply with quote

Quote:
So how would one go about setting up a torque and airflow model for an engine from scratch?

Whenever we've been involved with this, we have CFD or other data to help guide us.... I'm sure you can make guesstimates but I also thing the need for empirical data is what keeps approach mainly in the OEM world.

-neel
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
MrDomino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured. I was just introduced to some of the systems that we're using today and it's amazing how complex they are. I'm wondering if the advent of GDI engines and HCCI just around the corner, if we're nearing the day when engines are so complex that they'll be impossible to tune without someone first modelling the engine and then another guy doing controls/combustion analysis stuff, and another guy doing multiple tuning revisions and then validating against the original model, etc.
FPSeth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: AEM Infinity Reply with quote

stevieturbo wrote:
Quote:
AEMís tuner software has always been a favorite of mine, rivaling the best for ease-of-use and intuitive design.

obviously I'm a DIY'er and have very limited experience with AEM.

I know many people who disliked their GEMS' parent for similar reasons.

But obviously such an ecu does sound great on paper

I used to agree with you completely and I'm a dealer for their stuff, but this is different- very different- I actually have faith that its not just another marketing scheme. I saw the ECM and I got to play around with the software a little bit- there is NOTHING similar to any other AEM that ever exsited- it seriously looks like it could change the motorsport industries love of Motec's.
claudiumxg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks identical to engine lab ecu's -about which nobady was that excited a few years ago when they launched it, http://enginelab.net/
nice specs, but i don't see what it comes so radical with? everthing this is suposed to do is alredy been done on other platforms(including high speed dataloging and logging memory), maybe the price is better....but this platform does not have behind years of motorsport experience like others, so just to run your avarge engine you don't need that procesing power and engine modeling strategies are beyond end user and most of tuners capabilities(time spent on modeling a setup would take price to beyond what is feasable)
ps.and to run you top spec race engine anyone here with experience knows this will not do..... it does not do Di,diesel... there are so many tryed and tested things that already do everthing.... i just don't get the hype behind this product other than just a replacement for series 1 and 2 , never a competitor in profesional motorsport field
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> New Product Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: