FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

communication cable damaged...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maik21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: communication cable damaged... Reply with quote

hello people. im maik from mexico and 1 month ago i bought a used holley commander 950 tbi kit and this kit will be used in a nissan 240sx with a 5.0 ford engine swap.

well, the problem is this. kit came with a bad communication cable damaged and now i want to replace the end to bolts into the computer.

i search in the schematic diagram of ecu and i only did GND, RX and Tx to a DE-9 conector. i will use a usb to serie adaptor.

can anyone of here tellme where the modA and modB wires need to be on DE-9 conector ?

and , are there jumpers on the DE-9 that need to be done?

thanks for help and sorry for my poor english !!
maik21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i open commander ecu and there is a max232 in there!!
RootesRacer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maik21 wrote:
i open commander ecu and there is a max232 in there!!

Would you not expect that?
maik21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking maybe communication cable has some electronics inside because its a little expensive (70 usd) .
maik21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
RootesRacer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to start, where is your Holley support?

To second, if you see a max232 chip, track the traces to the DB9 connector and build an appropriate adapter cable.

Not sure what your time is worth, but looks like you have shut yourself down over a $70 cable.
maik21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this kit its not new. i have it for cheap $600 usd total without cable and o2 sensor.

like i said, i need someone that has this cable and do some continuity test .

i find this picture today...

it sems like the cable named moda and modb its not used and only uses gnd, rx and tx.

i did the cable today with only this 3 wires but i have some comunication problems and i dont know if this is because i use a usb to serial port. this night i put this into a desktop computer and test it again.

an average job pay about 80usd per week working 10hours at day and resting on sundays. this is way i dont buy this cable yet but if i cant get help, i will have to buy it. so no problem.
JimK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't fully help you, not knowing a thing about Holly equipment, but the standard pin out on the DB9 connector for serial communications is Ground Pin 5, Transmit Data TxD Pin 3 and Recieve Data RxD Pin 2. You may already have this info.
maik21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i finish the cable yesterday and it work fine. only gnd, tx and rx is used. it save me 70usd !!
maik21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what i did.

first... buy something like this.

its a db9 plug for a diy.

then, here is the plug from the backside.
u can see some numbers in there.

this is the schematic of what you need to do in the db9 . so you need to do jumpers in 1,4,6 and another jumper 7,8. Rx from ecu to Tx on db9. Tx from ecu to Rx on db9. its the way comunication from ecu and pc is done.

micro is the holley ecu. and conector db9 hembra is a db9 female. it is the replacement for the stock comunication plug.

this is the schematic of pinouts on db9

this is the schematic of holley ecu and the rare plug for comunication. you need to strip this plug or cut it and put the db9 and weld it.

so you only need to use from holley ecu wiring harness, the yellow for Rx, oranche for Tx and black/white for GND. ( all from the serial com connector).

and when you finish doing this, u need to buy this for conection from pc to holley ecu.

i didnt take pictures when i made my cable, but i did from the schematics.
Lefly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Maik! Reply with quote

That's what I was looking for!

Before I try to splice together the cable a couple questions: were you able to find the round connector that plugs into the Holley ECU?

Also, what order were the three pins on the Holley connector? Such as:

(Tx) (..)
(Rx) (GD) ?

Or

(GD) (..)
(Tx) (Rx)

etc?

thanks!
maik21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks, Maik! Reply with quote

Lefly wrote:
That's what I was looking for!

Before I try to splice together the cable a couple questions: were you able to find the round connector that plugs into the Holley ECU?

Also, what order were the three pins on the Holley connector? Such as:

(Tx) (..)
(Rx) (GD) ?

Or

(GD) (..)
(Tx) (Rx)

etc?

thanks!

i wasnt able to find the holley round connector. so i cut it and put the db9. its a lot easier.

and the order of three pins on holley round connector i dont know. i only know the colors.

i know colors because i have the holley commander 950.pdf (wiring schematic)

if you dont want to cut the round connector. you will need a multimeter and do a continuity test (0 ohm test.) between wire and pin out of connector.
Lefly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you mean you opened the ECU, cut the wires to the round connector and connected the standard DB9 to the wires instead?

I guess I can try to do the same to see what colors go to which of the pins.

Thanks again for your info
maik21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you dont need to open the ecu. those wires are in the harness.

wait a second, i will try to take a shoot of my ecu.
maik21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this pictures show the round connector (communication input port outside ecu)

and this is my install. i dont remove tape because its to tightened.

you can see the yellow, orange and black-white cable .
picture 1 and picture 2 are when i buy the holley commander kit.
maik21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a little of help.

shelbysnake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Communication cable Reply with quote

This topic has been very interesting. Thank you all for your posts.

I have a question. I will be, for the first time, starting up the engine with the Holly Commander 950. Hope all will go well.

With regards to the communications cable. I would like to know if this is how everyone typically uses it. Hook up cable to 950 & computer set the parameters and upload to the 950. Remove the cable and drive the car. Is that it? Tune and adjust as needed will be needed I'm sure.

But, is there a need to ever drive the car with a laptop computer hooked up to the 950?

Thanks,

Arthur
TurboNova

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will either have to have the laptop connected while driving or have the car on a chassis dyno with the laptop connected. There will be alot of changes needed, if you just start driving you will not know if it is lean or not and could damage your engine.

Being a new EFI guy, check out our EFI 101 class.
shelbysnake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Wiring of the 9 pin plug Reply with quote

maik21 wrote:
heres a little of help.

After reading about tuning I know that I need to drive the car with a laptop hooked up to the Commander 950. I've got some Auto-Tune software to help with this.

But now I need to extend the cable from the Commander ECU to the Laptop. I've studied the drawing above and have tested the Holley cable that came with my unit. I do not find what is shown in the drawing. My pins 1, 4 & 6 are not shorted and 7 & 8 are also not shorted as shown in the above drawing.

I only have three pins #s. 2, 3 &5 of the nine that have a direct connection to the Holley four hole plug and these are #s. 2, 1 & 3 respectively.

Would anyone please explain this?

Thanks,

Arthur
maik21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring of the 9 pin plug Reply with quote

shelbysnake wrote:

But now I need to extend the cable from the Commander ECU to the Laptop. I've studied the drawing above and have tested the Holley cable that came with my unit. I do not find what is shown in the drawing. My pins 1, 4 & 6 are not shorted and 7 & 8 are also not shorted as shown in the above drawing.

I only have three pins #s. 2, 3 &5 of the nine that have a direct connection to the Holley four hole plug and these are #s. 2, 1 & 3 respectively.

Would anyone please explain this?

Thanks,

Arthur

there is no problem with jumpers. it can run with or without those shorted pins. =)

the important pins are 2,3 & 5.

2 & 3 are for receiving and transmiting data.
5 is used for ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> Holley All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: