FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

Who else thinks the tuning software for MS sucks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    EFI University Forum Index -> Mega-Squirt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smracing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Who else thinks the tuning software for MS sucks Reply with quote

I am just venting after having a week of nothing but setbacks with Megatune. I think it is one of the shittiest tuning softwares out there. No drag to highlight, no multiple cell adjustments, too many widget windows, etc.
El Verdugo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had to deal with one, but thanks for the heads up.

Good luck with that.
www.corrperformance.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raceboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just what someone is used to use. IMO 3D VE and spark table tuning is very well arranged. I personally don't tune using 2D rpmxload tables.

Otherwise MS software is simple and I consider it good. But I definitely hate those ancient DOS-based softwares Rolling Eyes
Gadgeroonie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used it and yes - it does work

however its not very elegant

my problem with mega squirt there is not really one place you can go to get correct information on it and once you have bought and made the thing - it would have probably been cheaper to buy a cheap ecu that works with proper support and back up

its cheap price will always attract buyers and tinkerers - but do you really want to be mapping a car for a cheapskate ? if corners are cut on something as important as an ecu - then you can bet there are corners cut elsewhere

this is not a dig at Mega Squirt becasue it is starting to evolve into something much better

www.DynoDevelopments.co.uk
Raceboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, it depends on ones goals. When someone just wants to get rid, say of dreaded K-Jetronic or carbs on not too modified car, it's perfectly fine ECU for that. One have to set his/her goals straight.
Why buy 3000$ Motec or Autronic for 2000$ car?

EDIT: There's one more important thing about MS: it's very good ECU to learn calibrating and gathering experience what influences what. For someone interested in it, it doesn't make sense to buy expensive ECU and try it out on that.
Just my .2.
smracing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this job for a close friend who has a VW that was run with Digifant. I also wanted to see for my self what all the Hype was about. Now I know. I might use again, for a personal street project, but I wouldn't push it for a race car of any substance. I would rather pay for a nice GUI and well developed software.
KATwo40sx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gadgeroonie wrote:

... - but do you really want to be mapping a car for a cheapskate ? if corners are cut on something as important as an ecu - then you can bet there are corners cut elsewhere

Wow! I just tuned something as cheap/simple as an SAFC on a car last week, and I suffered no ill effects from it. In fact, the guy wouldn't even purchase a coolant overflow, so I had to use a coke bottle ziptied in the engine bay.

I've been looking at the MS2 for a while now and considering it for my car. However, I'm also concerned about the lack of support, especially with my application. It seems like there's tons of support if you have a Mustang, Camaro or Honda. Otherwise, you're kinda on your own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who has an E30 BMW, 325is that he turbocharged and using Megasquirt on it was my first real from-scratch approach to getting a car to crank, start, fire, and drive on a standalone EFI system- and hey, it worked! Its not very elegant software but it gets the job done. I know that many colleges doing Fomula SAE competition use Megasquirt. It's not Motec or AEM, but it's also a sub $300 solution that does work.

EFI 101 attendee and graduate: October 22nd & 23rd Redmond WA.
smracing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, have you driven the car? Does it buck and hesitate when it is cold or at part throttle or transitions to WOT? Does it idle on cold start up or does it die and you have to keep a foot on the gas?
GMjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally drive a vehicle with megasquirt. I too have had my share of problems but for a good learning experience. Second to none.

megatune- Try v225 P1(Must have P1)
Has multi cell edit. Nice improvement.( It is free ware)

If running MSII- try beta firmware 2.8xx

Cold start tables for Prime, crank ASE and ASE duration

Have spent lots of time tuning cold start part throttle.
Drivability - Good. All areas.

Ease of use- Not very. Spent as much time reading as I did tuning, but drivabilty very good when finished.

Not trying to debate any one system VS another. Would never set one up for a customer( too much time) but a great experience when done.

John
furpo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tuned using megasquirt software and found it to be acceptale. This ecu was always aimed at the DIY person who is more attracked to it because they want to build and develop something for themselves.

Roger
supercharger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys ive done some installations with MSII 3.0 and my favorite is Autronic SM4 so if i compare with mega and SM4 you cant there is like day and night and you will notice that after a while when you work with eather mega ore Autronic , and the price for SM4 is CHEEP and i now know why . Autronic is rock steady its like a solid rock once you tuned it there is done period . but mega is i dont know its not stable even these codes you have to look fore and all this reading day and night to find out the small things you must have even i think something allways shows up about megasquirt , buy Autronic and do the job when youre done its really done . and even one of the most important here is high repeatness , and how Autronic controll the injectors so even if you use large injectors say more than 80lbs there is no problem with A/F at idle fore example ore even in the entire rpm range to .
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was involved with Mega Squirt from the start (first 100 builder group buy). It was a good and successful spin of from the efi-332 project. I've had several units work more than well enough for the vehicles they were run on.

If you want to edit the code of an ecu to make it absolutely specific to your application it is one of the few that will let you do it. If you want a tun key system that can be plugged in an run with well understood GUIs and base platform that works for a wide range of vehicles there are better choices. Manufactures of turn key systems obviously offer very stable units and many are as rugged as OEM units.

Building an MS is not a mission to take iff you want a cheap system. If you want a cheap system, buy a used take off from someone else's failed project on e-bay. MS is made for people who want to flash their own boot loader into the processor and edit the code (not tune from the GUI) to make the system work with an application that requires very specific capabilities. In that regard it is one of the best, IMHO.

That said; I had a great deal of trouble with the later versions of the GUIs for tuning and set up. Having to select the vehicle is a very easy to do, but the software would often start with more than a handfull of warning pop-ups. At that point it was an absolute gamble as to what any map bin (cell) would affect for a map bin in the ECU. The older GUI's that Eric made worked great and he put a great deal of time in FOR FREE! So I'm not knocking his efforts, but the run-amok versions of processors and types has created what is in my opinion, a very unstable and surprise laden generation of tuning screens.

The hardware is fantastic: Even the base processor is rocket ship fast compared to a lot of OEM units so it is certainly a good platform. One just needs to know what they are getting into with an MS. You can make it do what ever you want, but it takes a dedicated effort. If you just want to slap on efi, there are better choices.

Just my $0.02. Of course it's on the net so it might be bullshite.
FoundSoul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GMJohn mentioned, the features mentioned in the opening post have been there for over a year now-- multi cell select and edit are there, and have been since MegaTune 2.25p1 which is still the current version. Eric ( the developer) took a year or so off from MegaTune development to focus on a new job, and rumor has it he may be back to pour more of his time into this, again for FREE because he loves the stuff and has been dedicated to this project for a long time now...

The MegaSquirt isn't neccesarily for everyone... it is a killer system that is super-capable. You will pay far less, and learn far more, than with any other system out there. If that doesn't interest you, then pay more, learn less, and just go drive your car Wink. J/k

All in all I agree the tuning software could use some work, does it suck? --not at all. My cars run just like factory, aside from the fact they make more power, get better highway mileage, and burn cleaner at the tailpipe. No bucking, no funky behavior, no instability in the tune. I tune it right and it stays rock solid. If I don't change anything I don't have to touch it. To anyone having trouble getting their MS to run their car like this.... it's all in the tune. I didn't get it right my first time tuning an MS either. I suspect most people trying to figure out how to tune ANY EMS their first time is going to have some driveability issues at a minimum...

As for the support-- the forums are great, but we also have fulltime staff for this. You're never hung out to dry... We do most of it via email, but with super-quick response. And if you want a phone call or want to call us, just ask, were game. We just aren't staffed quite well enough to take 60 calls a day and stacks of email... The email thing usual works really well, and quickly too.

As for the future, there are alot of cool things happening. B&G have several projects in the works.... And in-house there are some new developments coming together aimed at simplifying the whole MegaSquirt thing for some, as I know there are alot of poeple out there who would love to have a good solid ECU at a mid-level price, with 99% of the work cut out of it... Can't say much more about that now, but you'll hear more soon I'm sure.
Arnout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using megatunix when I do the megasquirt. It's a lot better
NISMO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my buddy running it on his 240sx :
install was:
hooking it up is no different than any other standalone.
run recalibrated cts and gm ait are only requirments.
Lots of settings but f1 explains it in every section so for 300$ its a hell of system, and for most older engines it has everything engine can support.
Also nos, knock, alky inj, etc is all open coded. Vs similarly priced safc,neo etc units its still standalone fuel and spark.

Maybe other 1k+ systems are rock solid but for 2-5k car and average joe ms2 is plenty.
Street tunes are quiet easy to make with wo2 and knock listening.

Everysecond matters people need th 1200+ systems and hours on dyno.Its on different level.
TurboNova

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have installed several Megasquirt systems here at the shop. As a shop owner I shy away from Megasquirt.. most customers that opt for this system spend more money for the install than they would with another ECU choice. Cheaper ECU=More install time.

If we were doing the same type of car with Megasquirt every time we could get more proficient with that type of car but every time it is something different with a different trigger pattern and coil. The problem is it takes a lot of research and time (money) to muddle through the forums to get a good answer better yet a good bug free version. This makes the system not something people can afford to have someone do it for them. If the car runs and drives here we will put it on the dyno and tune it, other than that we steer away from them.

For a DIY ECU most people out there will not take the time to learn enough to be able to make it work.
NOTORIOUS VR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMjohn wrote:

megatune- Try v225 P1(Must have P1)
Has multi cell edit. Nice improvement.( It is free ware)

I just downloaded P1 and can't seem to figure out how to select multiple cells... what's the trick?

Thanks!
FoundSoul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurboNova wrote:

For a DIY ECU most people out there will not take the time to learn enough to be able to make it work.

It's not for everyone, but to say that most people won't be able to make it work is pretty untrue--- it's widely successful by most people who put a little effort into it, and the side benefit of some education is what many of these people are looking for.

Notorious VR-- on the Multicell edit thing, I just bumped into this thread and with my 8 month old and 2 year old in my lap I threw together a little video for you in the last few minutes, so don't expect much in the way of production, but it should do the trick Wink.

http://www.diyautotune.com/videos/megatune/megatune225p1_multicell_select.wmv
TurboNova

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Megasquirt boards and I know that there are a lot of people who have made it work. On the other hand, we have bought pre made boards from well known suppliers only to have problems with them. It has taken something that should have been an easy job into something that took way too much time.

I have seen some success here, success also from customers who built there own here, but long term success I have not. Every system has had issues at some time. Like I said if you like to tinker and want to DIY it will work but from my experience most people will have problems with it, either making it work at all or keeping it working long term.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    EFI University Forum Index -> Mega-Squirt All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: