FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back to site

bmw S52 stumped on cam position sensor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NKartchner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: bmw S52 stumped on cam position sensor Reply with quote

I'm in the process of putting a Haltech Elite 2500 on my BMW e36 (S52 single VANOS) turbo motor and I'm stumped on how to sync the camshaft position sensor. The crank sensor is a hall effect sensor with a 60-2 trigger however the camshaft position sensor is where I'm confused. It's clearly a VRT sensor however, I'm not quite sure how to wire or how to tell the ECU to read . The stock ECU wiring is simply 3 wires:
1) Primary coil ground
2) Secondary coil ground
3) 120kHZ AC output frequency
The ECU pinout diagram lists 1 and 2 both as INPUTS and 3 as ground (no outputs are listed).
I did happen to come across an explanation (see below quotes) of exactly how the sensor functions but I'm not sure how to "decipher" the explanation to answer my questions.

"The primary winding is supplied with a 120 kHz AC signal. The magnetic coupling causes an induced voltage into the secondary winding (at the same frequency). However the induced voltage has a slight phase shift due to the induction time delay.

The trigger wheel of the camshaft influences the magnet field of the sensor and causes the phase shift to increase as the disc of the wheel moves closer to the sensor. The ECM mon- itors this change in phase shift as TDC (compression input) from the camshaft.
When the disc passes by the sensor the phase shift moves closer again."

I feel like this is simple however, there's obviously something missing for me that I don't understand. How do I wire this into the haltech and how do I program the haltech to read the camshaft position sensor?
nfn15037

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a cam sensor from a OBDI M50 which is a regular hall sensor. The OBDII sensors are pretty much useless for anything besides the factory ECU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EFI University Forum Index -> Haltech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: